Thursday, April 14, 2005

Who needs sleep?

No, I have not fallen off the face of the earth, though I just might if I don't sleep soon. The previous weekend, I tackled the chore of moving from one house to another, and since then it's been the typical "I can't find the _______, have you seen it?" routine. My main problem is the distance to and from work has gone from a 2 minute drive to a 25+ minute drive. And of course with the new house, you have to clean, and unpack, and fix things that aren't to your liking. Get up earlier, go to work, come home, cleanunpackfix, try to get dinner, try to sleep in a strange place, repeat. I'm wiped.

My knitting group last night was a much needed break from all that. I'm still trying to get preemie hat #1 finished -- the ribbing no less -- from last week's session. I hope to have it done by the end of the month at the rate I'm going. The cabled sweater? I haven't even seen it since the move. One of the last items packed and one of the first items moved in, which means it's at the back of a closet for safe keeping.

But even if I can't actually get a lot of knitting done, I can at least talk about it. Beverlee and I were talking about project design for a Chiengora item(s) auction to benefit her wonderful service dogs. It's already been decided to cut the poodle fiber with wool because this is VA, not the Antarctic. Next, what to make? Perhaps a hat/scarf set for those with a smaller pocketbook, and what I'd really like to do is a shawl from Folk Shawls, Best of, or some such. A Shetland construction or maybe a circular shawl. I love to wear and make shawls, even though this one wouldn't be for me, it would be a lot of fun to have the experience of working with a handspun, hand-dyed, Chiengora blend. I want to make the next step from simple triangle shawl to something a bit lacy. Assuming I have time to work on it, a shawl would take me about a month. Luckily, there's no rush for any of these items, so we have until late summer to come up with a solid plan, and if I start knitting items by fall, they'll be ready just in time when the weather turns cold and folks are looking to get their hands on something warm for themselves or a gift. I can't be the only person in the world who starts thinking about Christmas gifts in July.


Beverlee & Lennox

In other news, our Project Linus blanket may be just about done. A few more squares were submitted last night at the meeting, so hopefully we'll have a report (and a picture) on that soon. Whenever I happen to make it home tonight, I plan on turning in early. Maybe after I put a couple of rows on my preemie hat. Zzzzzzzzzz.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home